Back to the Basics
In our blog, we often discuss specific diseases or issues that can afflict your feet, but today we’re taking it back to the basics. It’s easy to overlook your feet as you go through your day ticking off all the important things you need to accomplish. Most of us busy New Yorkers ignore our feet until there is something obviously wrong, like pain, or an obvious change in color, or a new growth we’ve never noticed before. We get it! That’s why we here at Bay Podiatry Associates put together these helpful basic foot care tips:
- Wash your feet daily. When you do, note the color and temperature of them. Also note any peeling, flaking, or other skin issues that could indicate a fungal infection. Make sure you wash and check your nails too!
- Use a moisturizer. After you wash your feet, apply a moisturizing lotion to keep your skin from drying out.
- Trim your toenails regularly. Proper toenail trimming technique states that you should trim straight across and not too short. An improperly cut toenail could end up as an ingrown toenail– ouch!
- Get to know your podiatrist. If you have a foot issue or notice a change in your feet, it’s important to always check in with your podiatrist on what to do. Home remedies for your feet could hugely exacerbate what might have just been a minor problem to begin with.
- Change your shoes. Wearing the same shoes every single day all the time could lead to extra bacteria or even fungal growth. Change them up daily to give your other pairs a chance to air out.
- Change your socks too. Bringing an extra pair of socks to school or work to change into halfway through the day can help reduce excessive sweating and foot odor.
- Don’t ignore foot issues. Pain is your body’s way of saying “Houston, we have a problem!” If you’re experiencing pain, call us today.
- Stay active! Go for a walk or bike ride or dive in and go swimming. Staying active keeps your whole body – including your feet – happy and healthy!
If you’re experiencing any issues at all with your feet, we’re here to help you. Here at Bay Podiatry Associates, our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Argirios Mantzoukas can answer any questions you might have related to foot and ankle care. We’re here to ensure great foot health for life. To schedule an appointment, give us a call today at (718) 266-1986.