Foot Care Tips for a Great Summer Vacation
Are you planning to check out a brand new, far out, exotic new spot this summer? Or maybe just taking a family trip down to a local beach hotspot to sink your toes in the sand? You deserve a nice, relaxing vacation this summer. One great way to relax is to ensure your vacation will be smooth. Of course, here at Bay Podiatry Associates, we know a smooth trip entails avoiding any foot or ankle pain! We’ve put together some solid tips for avoiding any issues with your feet or ankles while you travel.
Follow these tips for a safe trip!
- If you’re wearing sandals or other exposing footwear, your feet can easily dry out. Make sure you moisturize your feet!
- Wear comfortable footwear, especially if you’ll be taking in lots of walking attractions during your trip!
- Do not pack those brand-new shoes. New shoes can cause painful blisters to occur on your feet.
- Limit the amount you walk around barefoot, especially in public areas. Places like public pools or showers in locker rooms are teeming with bacteria and fungus that can lead to nasty infections.
- Never forget your feet when applying sunscreen to your body. Sunburns are no fun anywhere.
- Keep up with your foot and ankle exercises. If you’re stuck in a car or airplane for long hours, try finding ways to sit and stretch your feet and ankles. This will keep blood circulating.
- Eat low sodium meals during travel to avoid any swelling caused by water retention in your feet.
- Pack nail clippers to ensure your toenails are properly trimmed. This will help avoid ingrown toenails.
- Stay hydrated! Keep a water bottle on you at all times to minimize swelling and help your circulation.
We wish you a safe, relaxing, and fun vacation! We know vacations are meant for relaxation, but they can also be stressful on your feet. If you experience any pain or discomfort on your feet or ankles, it is important to check in with your podiatrist. Our board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Argirios Mantzoukas, can ensure great foot and ankle health prior to your vacation or help you get back on your feet if you’ve sustained any injuries. To schedule an appointment, contact us today at (718) 266-1986.